Islamic Populism is a authoritarian and economically ambiguous ideology that incorporates Islam into populism. It believes in using religious and populist rhetoric in order to achieve either Islamic Democracy or Islamic Theocracy.
Islamic populism in Indonesia refers to a political phenomenon where politicians or parties employ populist strategies and rhetoric with a particular emphasis on Islamic identity and issues to gain support and mobilize the electorate. Joko Widodo, commonly known as Jokowi, the current President of Indonesia, can be seen as an example of a leader who has effectively utilized elements of Islamic populism in his political approach.
Jokowi, a former furniture businessman and Jakarta governor, rose to prominence as a political outsider who appealed to the aspirations and grievances of the common people. While not explicitly an Islamic leader himself, Jokowi has embraced Islamic symbolism and incorporated Islamic themes into his political campaigns to resonate with the predominantly Muslim population of Indonesia.
One way in which Jokowi has utilized Islamic populism is by adopting a more visibly Islamic image. For instance, he has been seen wearing Islamic attire during religious events and visiting Islamic religious leaders, which has helped him project an image of being connected to the Islamic community and understanding their concerns.
Jokowi has also made efforts to address issues important to Islamic constituencies. For example, he has implemented policies aimed at improving religious education, supporting Islamic-based organizations, and promoting Islamic finance. These actions have appealed to voters who prioritize their Islamic identity and have positioned Jokowi as someone who prioritizes Islamic values and interests.
Furthermore, Jokowi has actively courted the support of influential Islamic groups and figures. By forming alliances with prominent Islamic organizations and securing their endorsement, he has been able to tap into their networks and gain legitimacy among conservative Islamic voters. This strategy has helped him broaden his support base and consolidate his political power.
The Houthis, officially known as Ansar Allah, are a Yemeni rebel group and political movement. They emerged in the early 2000s and are primarily associated with the Zaidi branch of Shia Islam, a minority sect in Yemen. The group is named after its founder, Hussein Badreddin al-Houthi. Initially, the Houthis' grievances centered on perceived religious and political discrimination, as well as economic marginalization in northern Yemen. Their armed insurgency against the Yemeni government began during this period. Over time, they expanded their influence and formed alliances, notably with forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh.
One of the defining moments in their history came in 2014 when they captured Yemen's capital, Sanaa, and subsequently played a pivotal role in the Yemeni Civil War. This conflict led to the removal of President Abdrabbuh Mansur Hadi from power. The civil war has drawn in various international actors, including a coalition led by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, which intervened militarily in Yemen to support the internationally recognized government of Hadi. The Houthis have launched multiple ballistic missile attacks targeting oil refineries, airports and military installations in Saudi territory.
How to Draw
The symbol of Islamic populism is a yellow fist (representing the power of the common people) on a green background (the traditional colour of Islam).
- Draw a ball
- Fill it Green
- Draw in a raised yellow fist
- Add eyes
- (Optional) Depending on the region, add a turban (Middle East) or a Kopiah (South-East Asia)
|Green||#296609||41, 102, 9|
|Yellow||#FDC82F||253, 200, 47|
- Islamic Democracy - Basically me but more democratic.
- Islamic Theocracy - You are very based.
- Populism - Power to the Muslim people!!!
- Islamic Socialism - Socialism helps the people!!!
- Ba'athism - Pretty good ngl. You're not always Muslim but still good.
- Neo-Ottomanism - You are basically the definition of me. Fight those evil enemies of our faith!
- Putinism - Another great ally!
Manosphere - Hahahah Andrew Tate is based.
- Islamic Anarchism - Muslim, but anarchy is Haram!!
- Left-Wing Populism - Fellow populist, but some of you condone haram things in your movement.
- Right-Wing Populism - Another fellow populist who shares some culturally-right social viewpoints, but some of you, especially from the West are Islamophobes. Thanks for endorsing Dr. Oz though.
- Dengism - More great ally against the Indian Islamophobes!
Please stop genociding us in Xinjiang.
- Jihadism - Authoritarian terrorist who kill fellow Muslims.
Time to make conspiracy theories about how Mossad and CIA sponsored you!
- Zionism - Free Palestine!
- Hindutva - F*ck you Modi, you Islamophobe.
- "We were colonial subjects. After 300 years of being here the British didn't build anything for us - only to tell us how to sing Baa Baa Black Sheep and God Save the Queen."
- Jammeh claimed in 2007 that he found a cure for AIDS.