Not to be confused with Liberalism.
"It takes no compromise to give people their rights. It takes no money to respect the individual. It takes no survey to remove repressions."
Progressivism, also called Cultural Progressivism or Social Progressivism, representing the cultural left-wing. It's a way of looking at social reality in a generally constructivist way which claims heritage that stems from the past is not to be held sacred and should instead be viewed all less important than societal progress (The exact view of which depends on what type of progressivism is held) which usually entails the creation of a culture and social environment that is less strict and conformist and more open and inclusive.
Progressivism is usually heavily associated with centre-left to left-wing politics, although in theory, it can align itself with any economic and civic system as shown by ideologies like Pink Capitalism and Kemalism.
The progressive ideology on this wiki represents the general social position of progressivism as whole, similar to how the page for conservatism is inclusive of all conservatives, from socialists to liberals. Progressive-leaning individuals, schools of thought and parties that encapsulate much more than solely social progressivism are as such delegated to pages which better represent their views as a whole (for example, Brianna Wu is represented on the page for social democracy, though she is a progressive herself) just as how Rishi Sunak and Donald Trump aren't simply hurled onto the conservative page but rather fiscal conservatism and right-wing populism respectively.
In the United States, Progressivism exists in the form of Sandersism. Sandersism first came around as an ideology in 1972 when Bernie Sanders ran for senator of Vermont under the Liberty Union Party, but lost the vote. He ran for Governor of Vermont as well in the same year but also lost. Bernie Sanders did later become senator of Vermont in 2006 and still has been the senator of Vermont to this day, but is now under the Vermont Progressive Party (but somewhat independent) rather than the Liberty Union. Though he is still part of the Senate Democrat Caucaus and runs for president as a Democrat. His runs for president in 2016 and 2020 put the term 'democratic socialism' into mainstream American political discourse, although his economic policies which more resemble that of Social Democracy, with him heavily citing the Nordic Model as an inspiration, makes his classification as a democratic socialist debatable but makes him more of a social democrat.
The Congressional Progressive Caucus is the most left-leaning faction in the Democratic Party. The founding CPC members were concerned about the economic hardship imposed by the deepening recession and the growing inequality brought about by the timidity of the Democratic Party response in the early 1990s. On January 3, 1995, at a standing room only news conference on Capitol Hill, they were the first group inside Congress to chart a comprehensive legislative alternative to U.S. Speaker Newt Gingrich and the Republican Contract with America. The CPC's ambitious agenda was framed as "The Progressive Promise: Fairness".
Vermontese Progressivism is based off of the beliefs of the regional Vermont Progressive Party, a left-wing political party active in the U.S. State of Vermont. On social issues it advocates for social justice, the end of systemic racism, gender equality, LGBT rights, disabled rights, easier immigration, and an open and inclusive society. As for economics, it supports left-wing policies such as progressive taxation, universal healthcare, free education, housing for all, and small, local cooperatives as opposed to multinational corporations. It also supports combatting climate change, including a transition to renewable energy. As for foreign policy, it supports diplomacy and pacifism, and opposes interventionism.
Social Justice is justice in terms of the distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society. Although not directly tied to social progressivism, social justice is a form of economic progressivism that supports the creation of social safety nets, environmental justice, and regulation & taxation for equal opportunity to advocate for gender, ethnic, social equality, environmental justice, and for the physically and developmentally disabled. Because this is a form of economic progressivism, it can be practiced by both socially progressive and socially conservative ideologies, such as social democracy which social justice is one of the main principles of, or Christian democracy.
Social Progressivism is a socially constructivist view of society which advocates for the progression of morality and scientific advancements based off of science and philosophy rather than things like religious dogma. Socially progressive ideals include things like: Legalization of same-sex marriage, cultural tolerance, religious tolerance, LGBT rights, feminism, ect.
Cultural Progressivism is a form of progressivism that is focused on progressing societies identities and advocating for the equal protection of people for things like disability, sexual orientation, gender, ect. Cultural progressivism differs from cultural liberalism because cultural liberals do not favor things like identity politics to advocate for the rights of minority groups.
Economic Progressivism, or Fiscal Progressivism, is a political and economic philosophy incorporating the socioeconomic principles of social democracy and political progressivism. Economic Progressivism is rooted in social justice through improving human conditions via government regulation and spending, progressive taxation, economic interventionism, nationalization of some key industries, wealth redistribution, investment in infrastructure, the establishment of a social safety net, free education, expansive social programs, universal public services, expansion of workers rights, and social welfare. Economic Progressivism differs from social market capitalism to socialism, and critiques capitalism in ways such as: market fundamentalism, wage slavery, "socialism for the rich, capitalism for the poor" as well as rugged individualism.
Religious Progressivism, also known as Religious Modernism, is a form of progressivism that justifies progressive ideals based on theology. These ideas themselves are almost always rooted in philosophical religious humanism as a justification. It supports things like abortion rights, LGBT rights, feminism, and other liberal ideals using religions as justification.
Progressive Christianity is the ideological justification of progressive ideals based on theological Christianity, and Christian humanism.
Progressive Islam is the ideological justification of progressive ideals based on theological Islam, and Islamic humanism.
Progressive Atheism, also known as Progressive Secularism, is a form of progressivism that justifies ideologically progressive ideals based on secular reasoning's, or is just an atheist who holds progressive ideals.
What is and isn't considered progressive is highly debatable, however, some ideas that are generally regarded as progressive include LGBT+ rights, feminism, multiculturalism, open borders, legalization of abortion, secularism, racial equality, drug decriminalization, religious tolerance, sexual liberation, and more. It is important to note that while all of these ideas are generally regarded as progressive, one does not have to support all of these ideas to be progressive, and conversely, one can support some of these ideas and not generally be regarded as progressive.
Intersectionality is the idea that oppression based on identities mutually enforces each other. For example, they believe that a Black woman might face discrimination from a business that is not distinctly due to her race (because the business does not discriminate against Black men) nor distinctly due to her gender (because the business does not discriminate against white women), but due to a combination of the two factors.
This concept is criticized through the counter-concept of "Oppression Olympics" in which identities are constantly mashed up to find the single most oppressed individual there is, causing an endless downward spiral of wokeness. Another criticism of the concept is that it is not clear what identities count, with memes about various groups being included as oppressed such as landlords or gamers.
While not exclusive to cultural progressivism, Whig historiography is the justification for much of progressive doctrine. Whig historiography sees history as the progression to the point of ever greater equality and liberation. In this view, there is no such thing as repeated cycles, only obstacles to inevitable progress.
Progressivism can appear rather alien but is really chillaxed when you get to know him. He doesn't mind it when you ask him for money, as he is pro- Nordic Model. He loves weed but isn't too annoying about it. He likes following trends in social media, especially when it comes to international issues, and hangs out with multiculturalism for that purpose. However, he will be annoyed if there's any issue that doesn't align with him and regarded them as "hateful", "bigoted" and "problematic", and willing to seek changes to end such problems.
How to Draw
- Draw a ball
- Color the ball with acid green
- Add a black umbrella in the middle
- Add the two eyes and color them white
You are done!
|Acid Green||#49DB0B||73, 219, 11|
|Black||#141414||20, 20, 20|
- Draw a ball
- Color it with purple
- Add a black atom symbol in the middle
- Add eyes, colored white
You are finished!
|Purple||#9C28B1||156, 40, 177|
|Black||#141414||20, 20, 20|
- Anarcha-Feminism - Slay, quee- uh... anarch?
- Anarkata - Never Forget George Floyd! BLM!
- Civic Nationalism - A really respectable kind of nationalism.
- Left-Wing Nationalism - Like the above guy, but even better!
- National Progressivism - And here's the best form of Nationalism!
- Radicalism - They were pretty much an earlier version of me.
- Democratic Confederalism - Support Rojava!
- Democratic Socialism - Don't care about that whole Socialism thing, but keep pushing those reforms!
- Enlightenment Thought - My ideas can be traced back to here!
- Bleeding-Heart Libertarianism, Civil Libertarianism, Social Libertarianism and Libertarian Feminism - Don't use the power of the state to enforce anti-progress ideas.
- Feminism - Fight for gender equality!
- Men's Liberation - Besides women, men are also victims of inequality! Reforms should be made to equalize both genders.
- Liberal Feminism - YASSSSSS SLAYYYYYYY QUEEE- MADAM PRESIDENT!!!
MORE EXPLOITATIVE FEMALE CEOS!!!!
- Hong Kong Localism - [Country] stands with Hong Kong and resists Xi Jinpooh!
- Indigenism - Fuck Christopher Columbus! Take back your land! Down with the Dakota Access pipeline! #LANDBACK
- Kemalism - Good job at modernizing Turkey and abandoning the outdated Ottoman crap.
- Left-Wing Populism - POWER TO THE PROGRESSIVE PEOPLE! DOWN WITH REACTIONARY ELITES!
Wait, are we the elites? If so, I don’t like you, but I don’t think we are
- Liberalism - You're keeping my beliefs going!
Just wish I wasn't always confused with you. And some of you are regresives.
- Multiculturalism - Respect all cultures! DIVERSITY!!!
no you can't go to Martha's vineyard!
- Pink Capitalism - As the consumers modernize, so should the businesses!
- Queer Anarchism - Don't care about the whole anarchism stuff, but LGBTQ+ rights!
- Reformism - Change is good!
- Republicanism - A way better alternative than monarchy.
- Secularism - Very agreeable, separation of the church and state is very necessary!
- Social Democracy - My kind of democracy!
- Social Liberalism - One of my oldest friends, and my favorite kind of liberalism!
Roosevelt was awful though, the victims of Japanese internment camps deserve #Reparations
- Technoliberalism - You're pretty chill; we agree a lot.
- Tibetan Nationalism - The Dalai Lama is a peaceful leader of liberation slandered by CCP supporters and Winnie The Pooh apologists... FREE TIBET!
But with all due respect, despite my understanding you meant to show your openness and self-determination for certain groups of people, talking about how you were fine with "Europe for Europeans" was really bad optics.
- Uyghur Separatism - Together we will take down Winnie the Pooh.
- Scientocracy - I F#!&ING LOVE SCIENCE!!!! Time to teach those science-deniers a lesson on vaccines and gender!
- Twitter - Our praxis to promote social change
and cancel our opponents.
- Transhumanism - I appreciate that you want to improve humanity.
- Mandelaism - Good job at ending apartheid in South Africa.
- Acid Communism and Agorism - Weed/cocaine/[insert drug] LMAO.
- Soulism - Optimistic friend, that sometimes talks very weird things.
Spiritual hedonism in lucid dreams without any physical limitations and zero side-effects? Sounds good, but I just stick with material ones.
- Revolutionary Progressivism - We agree on almost everything, but revolution is never the answer. Also, your strong sympathies for that idiot is rather troubling.
- Progressive Conservatism - I don't know... I understand that traditions aren't inherently bad, but you just come off as a self-contradictory fence-sitter most of the time. You're really cool when it comes to indigenous and other minority groups though.
- Socialism - Meh economics, but I like equality. SocDem achieves your goals in a better way.
- Guevarism - I mean I don't care much about you or your movement but I might wear you on my T-Shirts to piss off the Regressives .
- Neo-Marxism - I am not sure what to feel about you. Some of your thinkers and theorists have good theories on social inequality, but /pol/tards use you as an insult against me.
- Anti-Fascism - Appreciate the enthusiasm, but don't you think you could tone it down a bit? Why do you need indiscriminately beat potential fascists up when we can remove actual fascists from politics using rules such as German 86a?
- Jacobinism - Your ways are too extreme but I'll at least give you credit for starting the whole thing. Plus, you're my great-granduncle.
- Anarcho-Communism - You're cool and all, but why spill so much blood? Your attempts at establishing your ideology were all failures.
- Marxism–Leninism - Same as the above.
- Maoism - Even though you were progressive for your time, even giving women near equality, the cultural revolution was too extreme; you really didn't have to go after a bunch of things that weren't doing anything wrong other than being "old".
I'll still take you over Dengism though.
- Ho Chi Minh Thought - I initially supported you against neocon, but you later became friends with him and now you are culturally conservative.
- Conservative Feminism - Feminism is based, but how can you be a conservative? I'm confused, what about the historical relations of women under Patriarchy?
- De Francism - You have some cool ideas, but you shouldn't force them on people.
- Third Way - I like your social policies, but why did you ever think it was a good idea to help him invade Iraq?
- Enlightened Absolutism - I'm glad you support progress, but absolute power is bad.
- Yangism - You were kinda cool until you made that tweet supporting Israel...
- Homoconservatism - At least we both want LGBTQ+ rights. But aren't you kinda contradictory?
- National Liberalism - Can you cut it out with Islamophobia? Also stop making fun of me and hanging out with them all the time please. BTW DPP from Taiwan is based AF.
- Neoliberalism - People like to tell me he’s basically the devil, but I honestly can’t see anything I genuinely don’t like about him. Your much more conservative beginnings in the 80s were obviously pretty cringe though.
- Social Authoritarianism - You're them but with authoritarian tendencies. Thaksin, Long, and Atatürk were good, but that sexist scumbag Lukashenko needs to go.
- State Liberalism - No, I don't want more transgender drone pilots.
Fordism - What's so dystopian about this?
- Tridemism - Based for getting rid of the outdated Qing crap and foreign imperialism, and modernizing China. Chiang and his white terror were horrible, though. You are too conservative nowadays, and I'll always choose the DPP over you!
- Free Syrian Army - I supported you back in 2012 in overthrowing Assad, such a shame many of you got corrupted by These Guys and hate DemCon. But at least Some of your factions are still based though.
- Liberal Conservatism - I appreciate that you want to withdraw from the rest of your clan but at the end of the day, you still don't care as much about innovation as we do.
- Radical Centrism - Same kind of issues with the guy above but on a broader scale. I wouldn't really call you a 'crypto-conservative' like some other people, just pretty misguided.
- Reactionary Modernism & Archeofuturism - *visible confusion*
- Technocracy - We're similar and we're both intellectuals but why are you authoritarian?
- Interculturalism - While promoting the co-existence of different cultures is fine, you're often a bit too focused on assimilation and don't really pay attention to issues like racial equity that much. Still prefer Multiculturalism to you.
- Bidenism - Better than Trump, I guess... Also, let's not forget that you were racist in the past.
- Libertarianism - We both smoke weed, but he flirts with conservatives a bit too much for my tastes.
- Zionism - I oppose antisemitism and I like that many of you are pro-LGBTQ, but ethnonationalism and being a neocon boss is cringe. Plus, many of us side with Palestine over Israel.
- Futurism - Why don't you like me.. are you a fascist or something? Wait, YOU ARE A FASCIST! Wait, you aren't??? Ok, I think my brain is starting to hurt.
- Postgenderism - Calm down buddy. Non-binary people deserve our respect no doubt, but your idea of just completely abolishing the concept of gender feels pretty idealistic and misguided. A whole lot of people like being seen as a man or a woman, and there isn't anything wrong with that.
- Sanationism - You were really progressive for your time but I'm not a fan of repressive autocracy neither Hitler flirting with you.
- Alt-Right - Chud scum.
- Alt-Lite - Not as bad, but also a bit more mainstream. Still a chud, nonetheless.
- Classical Conservatism - Go away, old man! You're no longer in your prime!
- Conservatism - Hick who enables hatred.
Wait, we had a son?
- Paleoconservatism - Your mindset is even more dated than the one Neocons and Trump have. Fuentes and Taylor Greene are particularly unpleasant.
- Neoconservatism - Some folks are born made to wave the flag, They're red, white, and blue And when the band plays "Hail to the Chief", They point the cannon at you, Lord, It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son, son, It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one.
At least you also hate Russia, China, and Iran, albeit for different reasons.
- Right-Wing Populism - Racist, Sexist, Homophobic, Transphobic, Xenophobic, ...[insert wall of text]... piece of shit! You're CANCELLED!
- National Conservatism - If you really love your nation so much, embrace progress like them .
- Authoritarian Conservatism & Reactionaryism - Stupid White Terrorists.
- Paternalistic Conservatism - Stop bribing people to follow outdated values using welfare also JP!.
- Welfare Chauvinism - Ethnocratic Social Fascism, welfarism at its worst.
- Reactionary Liberalism - NOO, LIBERALISM BACKSTABBED ME!
- Conservative Liberalism - You are like him, but a bit more moderate. I especially hate Prager and Peterson.
- Conservative Socialism - Eww, socialism is definitely not always good. And please stop calling everyone you disagree with a radlib.
- Brezhnevism - Same as above. You ruined everything!
- Traditionalism - C'mon Man! It's [insert current year]! Can we just END these archaic """traditions""" now for the sake of progress?
- Neoluddism - The industrial revolution was good, actually.
- Anarcho-Primitivism - Why? Just…why? Why would anyone want to go back to the Stone Age? I don’t even know why anyone would want to go back at all!
- Primalism - Like the above but even more antiquitist. Go back to the zoo, you filthy animal!
- Absolute Monarchism & Monarcho-Fascism - The worst kinds of monarchy. REFORM OR ABOLISH THE MONARCHY!!! #ขีดเส้นตายไล่เผด็จการ #หยุดคุกคามประชาชน #ยกเลิก112
- Khomeinism - As much as I hate absolute monarchs, even the Shah was still better than you.
- Hindutva - Smash the Brahmanical Patriarchy!!! AND STOP CALLING ME A SICKULAR LIBERANDU!!!
- Francoism - Stupid far-right fascist who did barbarities, YOU WILL NOT PASS!
- Black Islamism - Look, I'm all for religious freedom and minority rights, but this is just stupid.
- Trumpism - Literally Th*rmond!
- Brazilian Integralism - Cry harder, green chicken.
- Tatmadawism - #StopRohingyaGenocide
- Putinism - Путін хуйло! I stand with Ukraine!
Although my hippie friend has his doubts about American support for Ukraine.
- Fourth Theory - Evil reactionary chud who is Putin's ideologue.
- Juche - Totalitarian scum who isn't even trying to hide his reactionary views anymore.
- Xi Jinping Thought - Filthy nazbol who kills Uyghurs and censors femboys and feminists.
- Chinese Theocracy - The cycle of dynasties is over.
- Kahanism & Revisionist Zionism - Why are there three pages for Jewish-Nazism?
- Ilminism - I will never forgive you for banning me in 1955!
- Ittihadism & Neo-Ottomanism - Genocidal reactionaries who cannot accept that the Ottoman empire is dead. Also, How do you like that, killers? I recognize the Armenian Genocide!
What do you mean the first one is a reformist?
- Nixonism - Why do you hate drugs and hippies? And no, protecting endangered species does not count as a redeemable quality. Plus, Operation Condor was f*cking atrocious.
- Pinochetism - A neoliberal stratocrat is still a white terror tyrant.
- Hoppeanism - Not cool, dude.
- Korwinism - *Mental breakdown flashbacks*
- Gerontocracy - If you dislike social justice activism then OK BOOMER, you're no longer in your prime!
Bernie is cool tho.
- Eugenicism - Ableist and pseudo-scientific monster!
But we used to be such close friends.
- Fascism - Stop spamming that Mussolini quote and that Black Mussolini meme, you can't convince me you're not racist, because actually, you are!
- Nazism - LITERALLY HITLER!!! LIKE, LITERALLY ACTUALLY HITLER!!!
- Clerical Fascism - Religious supremacism? Easily one of the worst fascists.
- Esoteric Fascism - Sick weirdo!
- National Primitivism - Yet another sick weirdo! You're like everything I hate jeez.
- Anarcho-Fascism - Fascists believe in the strangest things.
- Homofascism - You must be a very conflicted individual. I pity you.
- Stransserism - Not only do you suffer from gender dysphoria, but you also suffer from political and ideological dysphoria. I pity you too.
- Jihadism - This is not the type of Islam I want.
- Ba'athism - Of course, that doesn't mean the Assadist state is any better for fighting it. It is such a shame that the rebels became corrupt tyrants themselves because they were absolutely justified to take you down for all the horrible shit you've done to the Syrian people. At the very least you didn't invade Rojava...
- Manosphere - Eww, this is why you're an INCEL!
- Radical Feminism - Go back to the hell you came from, TERF/SWERF! Your views towards men are no different from white nationalist views towards black people.
- Patriarchy - SMASH 'EM!!! The Problem of Every Society!!!
- Matriarchy - You and your society did not exist as you're just merely that incel's straw woman and the opposite of Patriarchy is not you, but EQUALITY.
What do you mean Matriarchal societies have existed throughout human history??? I think you consumed too much fiction then.
- Racial Nationalism - RACISTS!!!
- Ethnonationalism - XENOPHOBES!!!
- White Nationalism - Racist chud, but they prefer the term Latinx to refer to Hispanic people, albeit for different reasons than some of our more radical groups.
- Religious Nationalism - Nah, dude. Freedom of religion and secularism are important.
- State Atheism - Also nah. Secularism means the separation of religion and state, including atheism. I know organized religion isn't perfect, but religious people aren't these inherently delusional backward cultists like you say they are.
- Cosmicism - WHAT THE F*CK DID YOU NAME YOUR CAT?!?!
- Shapiroism - My feelings matter, you bigot!
- Post-Leftism - Some overly pretentious dude who complains about how I'm too reliant on "identity politics" or whatever. He just complains about everything and is overall annoying.
- Neoreactionaryism - Cold-blooded reactionary, who wants to create a cyberpunk-type dystopia? Ableism-lover? And social-Darwinist??? Holy shit, you are miles worse than him.
- Counter-Enlightenment - The Enlightenment was cool, actual- why do I hear screams coming from your basement?
Drawing by TheGhostOfInky
One of the old portraits
Comics and Artwork
- True and Only Heaven: Progress and Its Critics by Christopher Lasch
- The Reactionary Mind: From Edmund Burke to Donald Trump by Corey Robin
- Feminism is for everybody by Bell Hooks
- White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism by Robin DiAngelo
- Trans Rights Factsheet by PearloLesbo, NB419 and Scuter
- Doing Gender by Candace West and Don Zimmerman
- The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan
- Trumpvirus by Oliver Markus Malloy
- American Fascism by Oliver Markus Malloy
- Make Racism Wrong Again by Oliver Markus Malloy
- Apocalypse 2020 by Oliver Markus Malloy
- Progressivism in the United States
- Cultural liberalism
- Cultural radicalism
- Permissive society
- New Left
- Sexual revolution
- Pigasus the Immortal
- New Power Party
- Future Forward Party (Banned)
- Move Forward Party
- Social Convergence
- Democratic Coalition
- New Democratic Party
Videos and Playlists
- I am a Progressive by Jreg
- Understanding Social Justice by Whatifalthist
- The Nature Of Progress by ShortFatOtaku
- r/racism (anti-racism subreddit)