'Left Communism' redirects here. For other ideologies, including the Dutch/German variant, see Left Communism (Disambiguation)
Italian Left Communism, also called Ultra Left, International Left is an economically far-left, Marxist ideology. It is a form of Communism based off of the ideas and writings of the Italian left-communists, mainly Amadeo Bordiga and Onorato Damen, along with the International Communist Party. It is recognized to be the furthest Left Unity ideology on the compass. It opposes democracy, anti-fascism and the concept of a "Popular Front". It is a Leninist ideology that opposes Marxism–Leninism, believing it to be a bourgeois current. It regards Stalin as a bourgeois opportunist and regards other Marxist-Leninist revolutionaries, such as Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Ho Chi Minh and Mao Zedong as bourgeois, not proletarian, revolutionaries. While Damen and most Italian left communists considered the Soviet Union to be a bourgeois, capitalist state like any other, Bordiga would go around the thesis and proclaim that the USSR was a state-industrialist state.
This ideology refers specifically to the Italian strain of Left Communism, although other left communist ideologies also exist, namely, Dutch-German leftcoms (Council Communists) and Russian leftcoms. These ideologies do have some similarities, the most significant being anti-trade unionism, anti-nationalism/internationalism, and anti-parliamentarism. As well as the belief that true socialism is stateless and classless, and can only be achieved when the capitalist mode of commodity production is completely abolished. Every "socialist" who does not is merely an opportunist capitalist.
It is often forgotten that Italian left communists do consider themselves Leninists, being described as "more Leninist than Lenin". Lenin's work "Left-Wing Communism: An Infantile Disorder" criticised left communists in Britain, Germany and Russia who did not consider themselves Leninist.
The Italian Left and the formation of the Communist Party of Italy
The Italian Left's origins can be traced back to the struggle of the so-called intransigent revolutionary faction, re-established in 1910 to cure the PSI(Italian Socialist Party) of its reformism. When this faction was revived in July 1917 it was in quite a different context. The 1st World War had been raging for almost three years and the PSI had all but disintegrated under its impact.
The new faction was being resurrected under the impetus of Amadeo Bordiga and the Naples section to which he belonged. At the time, like Luxemburg, Bordiga slowly reached the conclusion that the revolutionisation of Social Democracy was impossible and thus there was a need to forge a communist faction which broke from the Social Democracy of the SPD and the 2nd International.
In 1919 at the PSI Congress in Bologna, the Serrati maximalists obtained a clear majority, but the new Left, which was gathering especially around Bordiga as a Communist Abstentionist Fraction against electoral illusions and for the organisation of the revolutionary conquest of power, took shape more and more clearly. The Left had created the Abstentionist Communist Fraction, proclaiming its theoretical base in Marxism, in complete agreement with the tactical line and strategic objectives of the Third International. The only dissent concerned participation in political elections and revolutionary parliamentarism supported by the Bolsheviks.
In January 1921, at the Congress of Livorno, the Communist Left broke with the old and reformist PSI: on the basis of the "21 Conditions" of Moscow it founded The Communist Party of Italy, section of the Third International, and took over the leadership.
Opposition to antifa
Italian Left Communism loves to sit in an armchair all day reading Marx, Bordiga, Damen, Cammette, Dauvé, and Chirik among others while complaining about other leftists. He often defends this behavior with "Theory is praxis." He is often depicted as being hypercritical and cynical to such a degree that no ideology will associate with him apart from Marxism.
How to Draw
The flag comes from the Internationalist Communist Party, a Left Communist party in Italy made by ex-PCI member Onorato Damen.
Drawing Italian Left Communism takes a few steps:
- Draw a ball
- Fill it with red
- Draw 2 intertwined yellow wheat spikes
- Draw a black hammer and sickle
- Draw the eyes and you're done!
|Red||#FC0808||252, 8, 8|
|Gold||#EDF734||237, 247, 52|
|Black||#141414||20, 20, 20|
- Marxism - I'm the only one that listens to him, smh.
- Leninism - We disagree on tactics here and there, but we are both true communists!
- Luxemburgism - Love you, Rosa!
- Bukharinism - "Bukharin is in line not only with Marx but also with Lenin".
- Council Communism - "We agree with Lenin's theses at the 2nd Congress".
- Trotskyism - Early work was incredible, I loved it. But you're just an impotent student movement with zero proletarian support.
- Autonomism - "The working class exists as such only by virtue of its party; without it the proletariat is a class only in a statistical sense."
Bourgeoisie (Read Marx!)
- Marxism–Leninism - Fake Marxist. Fake Leninist. Read the first line of Capital.
- Neo-Marxism - Stalinist cretin who fucked over my positions in the PCI and paved the road for the Bolshevization and Euro"communism" in the party.
- Maoism - You're okay for a Marxist-Leninist, but you're still a bourgeois movement that butchers workers.
- Dengism - You are Marxism-Leninism modernized.
- Anarcho-Communism - Peak petit-bourgeois.
- Social Democracy - The welfare economy is a failure! You also killed Luxemburg and Liebknecht!
- Capitalist Communism - Aren't you SuccDem again?
- Democracy - The velvet glove of Fascism.
- Fascism - The iron boot of Democracy.
Ignore these quotes here please
- Nazism - Name stealer
(from the socialists)that is basically the one above but racist. You invaded my country! You were the one that I fought against! Before it was just Mussolini , but then you had to get involved and invade Northern Italy, my stronghold! I hope you rot in hell alongside him!
- Democratic Fascism - See, I told you.
- Democratic Socialism - You can tell democratic socialism is bourgeois because "democratic" is right there in the name. Liberal parliamentary structures work in favor of the bourgeoisie class, whatever you like it or not.
- State Capitalism - You're just Deng again.
- Anti-Fascism - Antifa is a product of Fascism!
- Capitalism - Die and burn in hell, capitalist pig!
- National Capitalism - One-upped regular Crapitalism in being a jerk.
- Social Authoritarianism - Him, but without the mask!
- Hoxhaism - You claim to be "against all forms of revisionism" yet you're a Stalinist, curious. 🤔
- Market Socialism and Titoism - L*btards with a Socialist mask.
- Reactionary Socialism - Marx destroyed you lmao. Reactionaries are shit.
- National Bolshevism - The KAPD was right in expelling Laufenberg and Wolffheim.
- Acid Communism - If “Cobain's death confirmed the defeat and incorporation of rock's utopian and promethean ambitions”, Fisher's suicide reaffirms the real powerlessness of any perspective of criticism of capitalism that is not based on solid pillars such as criticism of political economy, the materialist conception of history, the experiences of past class struggles and the communist revolutionary programme that derives from them.”
- Nationalism - “ We are internationalists precisely because we believe workers have the same interests everywhere in putting an end to production for profit and bringing about a global cooperative commonwealth. Because we believe in the need for an international revolutionary organisation to politically link up all the various struggles of our class around the world. And because we believe national strife represents a barrier to the only thing that can overcome the capitalist system of oppression and exploitation – class solidarity. Every day the problems that humanity is facing – economic crises, pandemics, climate collapse, war – cry out for an international solution. It is still nation vs. class, and we know which side we stand on. Workers have no country, but we have a world to win.”
- The Fundamentals for a Marxist Orientation
- The Democratic Principle
- Dialogue with Stalin
- The Lyons Theses
- The Human Species and Earth's Crust
- Lessons of the Counter-revolutions
- The Balkan War
- Everything must go!: The abolition of value by Bruno Astarian & Gilles Dauvé
- Endnotes by various authors
- Tiqqun #1 by Tiqqun
- Left communism
- International Communist Party
- Communist Workers Party of Germany
- Left communism in China
- r/Ultraleft (meme sub)